Start shooting VR with ZCam K1 Pro POV rig
We are launching a series of posts to help producers create a VR rig with the Zcam K1 Pro, K2 Pro and Vuze XR cameras. Here you will learn how to build a POV and moving camera rig.
Follow @deovr for more
A POV camera represents the viewer. Everything recorded on the camera will be later watched in a VR headset. The people and things in the video will be experienced realistically at a lifesize human scale.
The ZCam K1 Pro is a semi-professional VR camera with the following specs: 5800x2700px sensor @ 30FPS, 8-bit color, h.264 available with 220º VRCA, 200MKX or 160MKX lenses. Equirectangular projection results in 5400x2700px 180º video. It comes with proprietary stitching software which makes mastering easy.
A one-man team can operate it successfully. Be sure to record in 2880p@30FPS mode. For enhanced movement perception, interpolate the footage to 60FPS.
Alongside the camera, additional components might be required to build a full rig (see below) and to set up lighting. If you aren’t yet familiar with setting up a lighting rig, try to use daylight.
We recommend watching the scene in VR while recording.
Make sure to double-check all the connections to ensure all cables are connected correctly. Feel free to send us a sample video for review.
ZCam apps are known to work better on iOS devices so we recommend using iPads. You can watch both left and right K1 cameras separately with the proper settings in place.
The process of VR video production:
Camera rig setup
Shooting (optional: monitoring in VR while shooting)
Optional: Interpolation to 60FPS
Editing video and audio
Stereo stitching (recommended: Mistika VR or Mistika Boutique)
Rendering output file in 60-80 Mbps
Watch in VR headset to make sure frames are in sync
This is a basic camera setup:
- Zcam K1 Pro (check lenses VRCA or MKX)
- 2*128Gb SanDisk Extreme Pro SDXC UHS-I U3 V30 SD cards (170/90 MB/s)
- Apple iPhone or iPad with a holder and lightning (type-c) ethernet adapter
- Stereo recorder
- Free Space Binaural Microphone (recommended)
- Lemo-Dtap adapter
- Extension Dtap cable
- Vmount Battery
- Manfrotto MK055XPRO3-3W tripod
- SmallRig Magic Arm 10 Inch 2066
- SmallRig Small Ball Head 2163
- SmallRig Barrel Nut 862
- Led Ring Yongnuo YN208PRO and NP-F770/NP-F750 battery (or similar)
- Gimbal FeiyuTech a2000 Dual
- Make sure the left and right eyes are not swapped (where the left eye footage captures the lens on the right and vice versa)
Zcam K1 Pro moving rig: